Life is awesome. Brandon and I have decided that we are phenomenal cooks. We made some amazing pork loin, pulled pork, bacon wrapped steak filets, tomato basil soup, and Mediterranean chicken this week. As last weekend and this week involved lots of visitors, we both were kinda off our normal schedules and a bit tired out. Therefore, this weekend was catch up weekend. Saturday we did homework and some laundry and then spent the night playing pool. Sunday was a bed day where we basically laid around together all day. Feels pretty lazy and like we should have been outside doing things but it was a wonderfully relaxing time.
Laramie is finally turning over to fall and the leaves are quickly changing colors. A few have started to fall to the ground but we are hoping the snow stays away for a bit longer. Brandon's pool leagues start this Thursday and he will be traveling to a tournament this weekend. I will be working my first concessions stand with the school and then planning my butt off while my hubby is gone.
Overall, our life together couldn't get much better---unless we could have a puppy in our apartment---that would be pretty sweet. We are not sick of each other yet and are officially over 2 months in! woo hoo! I think we are both missing family back at home and Alaska in general but are keeping each other company enough :)
School Life:
School sucks as usual. I haven't failed anything but haven't done as great as I would have liked. I am ready for this semester to fly by and be over with so that I can get on to finishing my required classes and going on to my internship. I will know more about my deployment come November so I can keep you updated then. Working out and playing pool are what keeps me sane. i am excited for pool league to start up this week and to see how the season goes.
Teaching Life:
This week at HEM was a pretty exciting week! It was our homecoming week which of course involved dress-up days and late night celebrations. Monday was super hero day but Monday morning came way too early so I ended up not dressing up for that one. Tuesday was dream career day so to be a bit creative and not dress like a teacher, I decided to go as a fishing guide: therefore I can teach and fish! I put waiters on, had flies in my pouch, bug spray in hand and sun glasses atop my head. I am the class advisor for the 7th graders so Tuesday morning we got to paint the windows at our school. Each class had a separate glass pane and each got to decorate it as they so wished. It was a fun way to get to know the school traditions and the kids. The seventh graders also took this time to tattle on all their older siblings that I have in class. They all "secretly" told me that their older brothers thought I was hot and had crushes on me...I thought it was pretty funny and think that is all fine because they do not say anything in class so the teacher-student relationship is kept appropriate. As soon as it goes any differently, a talking will be had!
Wednesday was wacky wednesday but I was again pretty tired as my best friend Amber had driven into town on her way to Georgia. She and her husband got stationed there and took a quick detour to stop in and say hi. I wish we had more time with them but it was great to be able to see them and enjoy some homemade pulled pork sandwiches. Thursday was nerd day--I am a nerd by nature as I am a math teacher--therefore, I wore one of my math shirts and wore Brandon's BCGs from basic (Birth Control Glasses). I also got to proudly display my humongous book of math problems :)
Friday was a "school day" but the duration of the day was spent in the gym with student council having the students compete in some pretty funny activities. I got my 7th graders to come up with a seventh grade cheer that they timidly yelled out once during the assembly "17, 17, 17....we're the coolest kids you;ve ever seen!"--crazy to think that they will graduate in 2017--10 years after I graduated!
Friday afternoon included Brandon driving up from Laramie to help me work the football games. I was the clock keeper for the junior high game and then we were crowd control for the high school game. I was so fortunate to have BRandon there to help me out cause I had no idea when to stop the clock! Unfortunately, both teams lost pretty miserably on their football games. However, I had a lot of students come up and chat (mostly my girl students who I am pretty sure were just trying to get more eye time looking at Brandon :) ) The most monumental moment for this week was near the end of the game when one of my student's dads came up to talk to me. I had met with him at parent-teacher conferences so he recognized my face. He proceeded to talk to me and Brandon for about 10-15 min all about how I am making a difference in his daughter's life. She has always struggled in math and he said that she finally feels like she is learning and that she can come ask questions. She looks up to me because she thinks that I can relate to them because I am a young teacher and she has been truly fortunate that I take the time to explain concepts to her and the other students when they do not understand something. He went on about how she really looks up to me and loves my class. Just these few simple words made me feel so great!
My goal for my first year teaching was to impact at least one student in a positive way. To know that I am already on my way to doing that made all the stress and worries of teaching seem so minimal. Those simple words from a proud parent of an excited student makes me feel so great about what I am doing.
No comments:
Post a Comment